Shaping the Way We Teach English Webinar Course 12
The Office of English Language Programs is pleased to offer our 12th webinar course entitled Shaping the Way We Teach English. The 6 online seminars of the course cover a variety of topics and are intended for teachers of English or future teachers of English around the world. Participants who attend 4 out of the 6 webinars will receive e-certificates. Participants are encouraged to join the associated Ning (http://www.shapingenglish.ning.com) to participate in discussions, view or download video and other materials from the sessions, and access recordings of the webinars.
The series will take place from January 15 to March 26, 2014. Each 90-minute webinar will be held every other Wednesday at 8:00 a.m. in Washington, D.C. (check http://timeanddate.com for the time in your region).
Please Note! To take part in the webinars, please email RELOBudapest@state.gov with the following information by January 3:
- First name, last name, email address, and country
- If you are interested in hosting a viewing session, please indicate that as well
**A few days before each webinar, you will receive a reminder email with the link to the webinar. Please select “Enter as a guest” and login with your FIRST NAME ONLY and country (example: Jenny USA). There will be no Adobe registration process before the webinar course begins.
Your computer must have Adobe Flash Player, which comes pre-installed on most computers worldwide. If prompted to do so, you may download the free player at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
For the course schedule, please see attached Viewing Session Guide 12.
In the current issue:
- Editor’s Corner (p. 3)
- Using Bulgarian Folktales in English in the EFL Classroom, by Bill Templer (p. 5)
- Report on the 22nd BETA-IATEFL Conference, by Theodora Pontika (p. 22)
- Second Call for the 23rd BETA-IATEFL Conference (p. 24)
- Forthcoming Events (p. 25)
- SEETA News (p. 26)
Click on the image to download this open access issue
If you are a teacher of English and live outside Sofia or have a very busy schedule, you can register for the online courses with the British Council Bulgaria.
The next session begins at the end of January and registration is open until 19 January.
Join a multinational online learning community and choose from a number of courses such as:
- Learning Technology in the Classroom and
- Primary Essentials.
The British Council Bulgaria is introducing two new courses:
- Communicative Assessment and
- Steps to Success.
Check out the British Council Bulgaria website to learn more about registration deadlines, course details and fees.
УВАЖАЕМИ ПРЕПОДАВАТЕЛИ ПО АНГЛИЙСКИ ЕЗИК,
Тази година, Българската асоциация на преподавателите по английски език (БАПА) обявява няколко ЩАСТЛИВИ ДНИ до края на календарната година. ЩАСТЛИВИТЕ ДНИ са 29.11.2013г., 09.12.2013г. и 20.12.2013г.
Тези от Вас, които подадат формуляр за членство (виж https://www.beta-iatefl.org/join-us/) на email@example.com точно на една от указаните дати, ще подновят членството си или ще станат членове на нашата асоциация с „щастливата такса” от 15 лв. Вместо редовната от 30 лв. (редуцираната членска такса следва да се заплати не по-късно от 31.12. 2013).
Членството, подновено или заявено на една от указаните дати, ще бъде валидно до 31.12.2014 г.
БАПА Ви приканва да разпространите информацията сред заинтересувани колеги.
Чрез присъединяването си към БАПА, Вие получавате:
- достъп в обществото на преподавателите по английски език в България;
- редовна информация за събития, свързани с чуждоезиковото обучение на всички нива в България и региона;
- подкрепа (вкл. финансова) за участие в национални и международни професионални събития (можете да се кандидатирате за официален представител на БАПА на конференция, организирана от нашите партньори или за подпомагане, включващо транспортни разходи и/или такса правоучастие);
- безплатно електронното издание на асоциацията;
- възможност да се присъедините към Международната асоциация на преподавателите по английски език (IATEFL) на специална такса (WMS или BasicMembership);
- възможност да участвате в годишната конференция на БАПА и на партньорските асоциации (ATECR – Czech Republic, ELTAM – Macedonia, ELTA – Serbia, TESOL Macedonia-Thrace Northern Greece) с редуцирана такса за членове на тези асоциации.
Секретар на БАПА
The United States Embassy in Sofia is now accepting applications for the 2014 Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI) for Scholars and for Secondary School Educators. Study of the United States Institutes are intensive post-graduate level academic programs with integrated study tours whose purpose is to provide foreign university faculty, scholars, and secondary school educators the opportunity to deepen their understanding of American society, culture, and institutions.
The ultimate goal is to strengthen curricula and to improve the quality of teaching about the United States in academic institutions abroad. The institutes will take place at various colleges and universities throughout the United States over the course of six weeks beginning in or after June 2014.
The SUSI for Scholars offers 6 institutes for university-level faculty and scholars in the following areas: Contemporary American Literature, Journalism and Media, Religious Pluralism in the United States, U.S. Culture and Society, U.S. Foreign Policy, and U.S. Political Thought. Additional information and the application may be found here: http://bulgaria.usembassy.gov/event_11152013.html
The SUSI for Secondary School Educators offers 3 institutes: two with a focus on classroom teachers and the third with a focus on administrators, teacher trainers, curriculum developers, textbook writers, ministry of education officials, etc. Additional information and the application may be found here: http://bulgaria.usembassy.gov/event_11152013a.html
The application deadline for all programs is January 3, 2014.
Please contact Cultural Affairs Assistant Viktoriya Toshkova if you have any questions. She may be reached at +359 2 937 5186 or via e-mail at ToshkovaVD@state.gov.
In the current issue:
- Editor’s Corner (p. 4)
- Selected papers from the 22nd Annual International Conference of BETA-IATEFL (p. 5)
- First call of the 23rd Annual International BETA-IATEFL Conference (p. 93)
- Forthcoming Events (p. 94)
- SEETA News (p. 97)
Click on the image to download this open access issue
Download PUBLICATION in Adobe.PDF
Selected papers from the
22nd BETA-IATEFL Annual International Conference
21st – 23rd June 2013, Varna, Bulgaria
BETA E-Newsletter, Issue 7, Year II, September-October 2013, ISSN 1314-6874
- Kaizen and appropriate methodology: Innovation in the provision of pre-service education and training for English Language Teachers
Steve Mann 5
- Openness and connectedness – can we teach that?
Svetlana Dimitrova-Gjuzeleva 23
- Academic presentation skills for PhD students
Violeta Karastateva 30
- A tertiary level project for enhancing foreign language skills
Valentina Raynova 42
- Project work in the context of blended learning
Mariya Neykova 46
- Class-wikis: Building up collaborative learning environments
Esma Asuman Eray 56
- Change of activities and cross-curricular connections in the Kindergarten
Zhivka Ilieva 67
- Diversity of subjects in English Imperatives
Petranka Ruseva 77
- Interactive digital storytelling in the primary classroom
Lidiya Dimitrova 86
A plenary talk by: Rumyana Todorova, Shumen University, Bulgaria; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download a PowerPoint presentation on ELT tendencies in pre-school and primary school education
Presented by: Svetla Tashevska, New Bulgarian University, Bulgaria; e-mail: email@example.com
Download a PowerPoint presentation on Enthusiasm for team presentations?
Presented by: Syana Harizanova, New Bulgarian University, Bulgaria; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download a PowerPoint presentation on Self-regulated learning at primary level – Yes pleaseor No thanks?